Can an artist truly be ahead of their time? We explore a few artists considered to have been ahead of their time from Captain Beefheart to Blondie from the Modern Lovers to Digital Underground, Roland Kirk and beyond.
- How the Stone Roses took a leaf out of Cymande’s book.
- When Damian Albarn was denied the stage at the Barbican’s Mali festival.
- The shy but precocious talent of Robert Johnson and the special recordings he made.
- How John’s parents used to feed the local animals junk food.
- Why Captain Beefheart gave up music for painting.
Listen to the Podcast Here:
Slides of the Vinyl
Episode 87 Tracklist
- Prince Buster – Dance Cleopatra Dance
- The Meters – People Say
- The Modern Lovers – Pablo Picasso
- Mack Banks – Bee Bopping Daddy
- Robert Johnson – Preaching Blues
- Le Super Biton National de Sagou- Nyeleni
- Electric Manchakou – N’tselfik
- Scotty Moore Trio – Have Guitar Will Travel
- Love Machine – The Shadows of Vibrate
- Pierre Cavalli – Un Soir Chez Norris
- Digital Underground – Doowutchyalike
- Furious Pig – I don’t Like Your Face
- Black Velvet – Earthquake’s Coming
- Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band – Ice Cream For Crow
- Roland Kirk – Ain’t No Sunshine
- Paterson – Freedom Now
- Cymande – Bra
- Stone Roses – Fools Gold
- Chakachas – Ma Ma Dou
- Chakachas -Jungle Fever