Special Guest Miles Cleret of Soundway records spins some way-out Tropical favourites from his recent trips around Africa and South America.
- The boys discuss shelving techniques – Who said we were spods? Shelving is a very serious business.
- Leadbelly, held on a murder charge, taken out of prison early to release his tunes.
- Little Roy’s excellent Nirvana covers album produced by Brighton’s Prince Fatty.
- How major labels such as Phillips and Decca had studio operations in 25+ countries during the 60’s and 70’s. Unfortunately, this would never happen today.
- Miles gives us a crash course in licencing records in the internet age.
- Bowie & Jagger’s ‘Dancing in the Streets’: the Video – Imagine the makeup required to cover those crags!
- A rocket on an Lp cover from the 50’s means trouble!
- Semba music: frenetic dance-floor bombshells from Angola!
- How much of a grip did the roots music of Africa have on African funk, are they just traditional folk songs made modern, or a whole new African idiom?
- Why do some tunes become standards – what is it that makes a tune like ‘Ain’t no Sunshine’ famously transcend the rest to become great?
- How songs that were initially recorded maybe just to make a few bucks become a part of our lives and are invested with additional meaning and baggage.
- The brilliantly eccentric British label Deram’s fab output.
- Check our events section for Soundway Records’ Album Launch party next Saturday 25th November
Episode 24 Podcast
Slides of the Vinyl
Episode 24 Tracklist
- The Delco’s – Arabia
- Booma Rockers – Soul Food
- Soul Agents – Gospel Train
- Fred Frith – Dancing in the Streets
- Jackie Wilson – I’m Coming on Back to You
- Jimmy Mawi – I Wan’t Get Up
- Soft Machine – Why Are we Sleeping
- Al Castellanos – Tango of Romance
- Ferrante and Teicher – Brazil
- Taranto’s y Sus Exitos – Opus Pi
- Leadbelly – Where did you Sleep last Night
- Crazy Teens – Crazy Date
- Greetje Kauffeld – Day by Day
- Carlos Lamartine – Basooka
- Joao do Vale – Jose Candido – Cacara
- La Negra Grande de Columbia – Selvas Colobianas
- George Clinton – Dog Talk
- Essential Logic – Wake Up
- Terry and the Chain Reaction – Keep Your Cool
- Trompeteros – Astronautos a Mercurio
- Davie Allen and the Arrows – Blue’s Trip
- Cat Stevens – Was Dog a Doughnut
- Chim Kothari – Indian Bat
- East of Eden – Jig a Jig