Matthew generally prefers the slower tunes but also has a few musicals in his collection!
- The freakishness of Dennis Potter’s Frank in ‘Blue Velvet’ and how it has changed our view of Orbison’s ‘In Dreams’. How Potter got the job…
- Saccharine just won’t do: The various kinds of sugar in Rock & Roll.
- Collage in art is a form that has not yet been completely used up.
- Kurt Schwitters’ room in the Lake District.
- The expansive production values of older tracks enticed hip hop producers into sampling.
- How the mathematics of the MP3 algorithm favours the bass and the treble and loses the dynamics and overtones to be found in the midrange.
…and much more!
Listen to the Podcast Here:
Slides of the Vinyl
Episode 57 Tracklist
- Percy Mayfield – Louisiana
- Cannonball Aldderley – Walk Tall
- Bo Diddley – Road Runner
- Young Holt Unlimited – Soulful Samba
- Stock, Hausen and Walkman – Sleep
- Jimmy Cliff – The Harder They Come
- General Strike – My Other Body
- Eddie Kendrix – Girl you need a Change of Life
- Half Japanese – Thick and Thin
- Kenny Barry – Hypnotized
- The Pioneers – Kick The Bucket
- Kwakuiti – Nootka – Wolf Song
- Hector Rivera – Asia Minor
- Holger Czukay – Photo Song
- Kraftwerk – Showroom Dummies
- Coldcut – Tortoise remix
- Serge Gainsbourg – 69 Annee Erotique
- Pete Rock and C L Smooth – Creator
- Johnny Cash – Belshazzar
- Jack Nitsche – Coming to Town
- Roy Orbison – In Dreams
- Lord Kitchener – Wife and Mother