Sometimes on your travels through music you find people who are on the same wavelength as you are and who inspire you with what they do. Cory Seznec is such a fine fellow. He takes Appalachian music (you know the good ol’ boy kinda thing) and mixes it with an African sensibility in a way that defies expectation. With the help of Senegalese percussionist Amadou Diagne, and fiddler Marius Pibarot, he shows that not everything in music has been done to death. Hugely enjoyable, their set captivated the Home Spun crowd!
- The Queens of Bollywood, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle were sisters who defined the sound of Indian music in such a way that they have become some of the best-selling Artists of all time. Heard of them? Why not? Because the Western music industry doesn’t see fit, perhaps?
- The Hemphill music dynasty: A Grandfather who recorded the Devil’s own music with a bunch of hand-crafted instruments for Alan Lomax and a Granddaughter who takes the Blues beyond.
- Another great naughty ‘Cook’ Calypso recorded in Trinidad in the 50’s.
- We are hardcore: Riding the Motherfucking Blues with Snatch & the Poontangs. Just remember, The Jesus & Mary Chain heard it here first.
- Check out the excellent blog Global Groove for great ‘off the radar’ African music downloads.
- Country Death Song – The Violent Femmes inspired a new genre in music.
Listen to the Podcast Here:
Slides of the Vinyl
Episode 80 Tracklist
- Lee “Shot” Williams – Welcome to the Club
- Herman – To the Fields
- Cream – NSU
- La Sonora Dinamita – Uli Li-E
- Cory Seznec – The Whippoorwill Comes
- Cory Seznec – East St. Louis
- Cory Seznec – Misty Eyed Mama
- Cory Seznec – Long Red Road
- Cory Seznec – East Virginia Blues
- Rahul Dev Burman & Asha Bhosle – Mera Naam Hai Shabnah
- Method Man & Redman – Let’s Do It
- Snatch & the Poontangs – Two Time Slim
- Cory Seznec -Chop it Up
- Cory Seznec – I Wish I Was in Outer Space
- Cory Seznec – Tell Me Little Woman
- Cory Seznec – Sugar Hill
- Chang-Kai Sheik – Naughty Boy
- Ronnie Dawson – Everything’s Gonna Be Alright
- Sid Hemphill – Devil’s Dream
- DNA – You & You
- Violent Femmes – Country Death Song